Sunday, January 27, 2013

D.I.Y: Doily bunting

This year quite a few of my friends are moving away for uni, so lately I've been thinking about what I should give them as a going away present. Yesterday I made doily bunting for my friend Saasha (it's ok, she doesn't know about this blog!), which I hope will help her to pretty up the typical university student shoebox accommodation. I was really happy with how it turned out, so I thought I would share how I made it on here!
You will need:
 - Doilies (of course). I have a lot that my grandma gave me but I most definitely did not want to cut them up, so I went and bought some with zero sentimental value from an op shop. They were really cheap too.
 - Twill tape or ribbon. I used just over two metres and was able to fit nine "half doilies." 
 - Scissors
 - Pins 
- Thread
 - And finally a sewing machine and an iron!
Step One: Cut all your doilies in half. 
Step Two: Lay the tape out along the floor and roughly arrange the doilies to your liking, so you can determine how much tape you will need to use. Once you're happy with how it looks, cut the tape.
Step Three: Fold the tape in half and iron along it to ensure that it doesn't unfold.  Then lay the tape out on the floor again and pin the doilies into place between the two halves. Make sure the tops of the doilies line up with the crease of the tape. 
Step Four: Sew along the bottom of the tape, close to where it meets the triangles. You can tuck in the ends of the tape to neaten it up. 
And ta da - you're done! Happy crafting :).

15 comments:

  1. Oh my, that is the cutest thing! Now I just need a million doilies so I can feminize the crap out of mine and my boyfriends apartment! :D Thanks for sharing!
    Liz
    http://liz-makes.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! I came across your wonderful blog and I'm your newest follower! :) Would you mind checking out our blog & following back via GFC and Bloglovin'? Let me know!

    sixthtractate.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow that is absolutely gorgeous!! I really want to make this for my room! Thanks for sharing this, it's absolutely lovely :)

    xo inventedromance.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
  4. looks fantastic! I'll definitely try this out soon x

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've got such a cute blog :) I love this idea, doilies are far too pretty to just sit around on tables, they make great bunting! xx

    coldknees.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so cute! Can't wait to see more DIYs, followed!
    Katie xx
    http://gravityandshe.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are so cute and look lovely! xo

    http://www.jenventure.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so pretty! And looks relatively easy; my kind of craft :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is such a sweet idea! What a good friend you are :)

    Rosie x

    ReplyDelete
  11. omgolly what a cute idea!! This is so sweet, as is your blog, which i'm now following. You can check out and follow my blogif you wish at www.rollerbladesandvintage.blogspot.com

    Tata, Leah xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are great! I have stumbled across so many sewing related DIYs these day and it has me considering a visit home so I can borrow my mum's sewing machine. I would have loved these to dress up my bland Uni dorm room.

    -Emily

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is so pretty! great idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am 100% making this! So so so so wonderful I am in love! My 18th is coming up and I definitely think this would be perfect decoration! Thank you for sharing!

    Soph
    x

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...